July 23, 2013

Chasing The Dream: Being a Write-at-home Mom

Some people fantasize about living in a mansion, owning several cars, and having a hired waitstaff to do all those menial household tasks for them. Clothes, restaurants, vacations...

Yeah. All those would be nice, but my professional goals are a little different.

I'm currently a stay-at-home mom. That's what I do all day. Also, sometimes, I write books.
(Recently, I became comfortable with telling people I "work from home" or even that I'm a writer. I think my last post helped me overcome that fear. A bit.)

But, you know what I really want?

A babysitter.

Not a full-time nanny or a daycare, because I love my job. I love being with my kids and watching them play, learn, sleep, even point out trucks on our way to the store--things only a mother could love, probably. I don't want to give up my stay-at-home status.

But it would be pretty sweet if I could hire someone to watch the kids for two hours a day, five days a week. So I could be guaranteed the time to write and focus on something else. Just a couple hours.

*sigh*

Maybe someday...

If you're a writer, what's your dream? What is success?

If you're not a writer, what's your idea of success? Also, how do you picture a "successful author" living their life?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm sure you could find plenty of people willing to baby-sit just two hours a day! heck, I'll do it if I can fit it into my schedule! (Alex would, too).
Right now, my writing dream is to get to the point where I'm only worrying about ONE full-time responsibility: school, work, motherhood, whatever. Right now I'm juggling a balance of full-time responsibilities, and once I'm down to ONE I'll hope to write more.

Unknown said...

One full-time sounds like a fantasy right now. I think as I get older, I'm learning to sacrifice for my writing. I'm hoping that someday, I'll be able to sacrifice some income for that time instead of sleep! Good luck with simplifying your life. I hope you find what you're after.

.i2Style{ font:bold 24px Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif; font-style:normal; color:#ffffff; background:#67b310; border:0px none #ffffff; text-shadow:0px -1px 1px #222222; box-shadow:2px 2px 5px #000000; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 5px #000000; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 5px #000000; border-radius:90px 10px 90px 10px; -moz-border-radius:90px 10px 90px 10px; -webkit-border-radius:90px 10px 90px 10px; width:96px; padding:20px 43px; cursor:pointer; margin:0 auto; } .i2Style:active{ cursor:pointer; position:relative; top:2px; }