May 25, 2009

Mugging the Muse

Wow.

I've been stuck on my novel for a while now. I got through the first couple of chapters or so and then stopped. Little to no reason, I just stopped. It was probably a mixture of lack of motivation and not knowing exactly how to proceed (which is strange because I know where the plot is going).

For those of you who don't know, I've been testing out Holly Lisle's Writing Course How to Think Sideways and I can't praise it enough.

So I was doing what I've been doing for the last couple of weeks, telling myself that I should write some today, reminding myself that I have these goals and writing is fun. I decided to work on a workshop assignment instead (close enough, right?)

I wound up doing two exercises and BOOM!
  1. I knew which scene had to come next and how to write it.
  2. I wrote a scene that will come later in my book that will have tension and conflict and subtext and all sorts of fun little goodies.
  3. I wrote probably the best scene I have ever written (in chapter 3 for those of you following along). It also is packed with goodies.

Anyway, two little exercises that I never would have tried are now my go-to tools when I'm stuck. The webbing exercise is so great for making sure I use both sides of my brain. It's logical, laid out, right in front of me, but it's also creative and instinctual. It really really lets my Muse sing.

No comments:

.i2Style{ font:bold 24px Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif; font-style:normal; color:#ffffff; background:#67b310; border:0px none #ffffff; text-shadow:0px -1px 1px #222222; box-shadow:2px 2px 5px #000000; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 5px #000000; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 5px #000000; border-radius:90px 10px 90px 10px; -moz-border-radius:90px 10px 90px 10px; -webkit-border-radius:90px 10px 90px 10px; width:96px; padding:20px 43px; cursor:pointer; margin:0 auto; } .i2Style:active{ cursor:pointer; position:relative; top:2px; }