October 10, 2009

Link: 6 Functions of Dialogue

I found a new website (new for me anyway) belonging to author Ellen Jackson. The particular article I found was so straight-forward and refreshing, I had to share. You can read the entire article here.

This article discusses the SIX FUNCTIONS OF DIALOGUE (she gives more detail and examples in the article, if you're interested.)
Dialogue reveals character.
Dialogue gives necessary information.
Dialogue moves the plot along.
Dialogue can show what one character thinks of another character.
Dialogue can reveal conflict and build tension
Dialogue can show how someone feels

I had no idea, but it makes total sense. Dialogue serves these purposes. Knowing this will help add variety to my conversation, while maintaining conflict. I'm excited!

2 comments:

Cynde L. Hammond said...

Hi, Emily!

I totally love your blog. I signed up as one of your "followers" today and you'll also find your blog listed on the front of my blog under: "My Blog List #2 (Newest Additions).

I'm a newbie in Holly Lisle's "Think Sideways" course. Furthermore, I believe that, as writers, it is so important that we support each other in every way that we can, don't you agree?

I look forward to getting to know you better in the coming weeks.

God bless you and I hope you had a great Columbus Day holiday.

Sincerely,
~Cynde
Cynde's Got The Write Stuff

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you like the blog! One thing I love about Think Sideways is the support system on the forums.
I'm jollygreen23, by the way. :)

.i2Style{ font:bold 24px Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif; font-style:normal; color:#ffffff; background:#67b310; border:0px none #ffffff; text-shadow:0px -1px 1px #222222; box-shadow:2px 2px 5px #000000; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 5px #000000; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 5px #000000; border-radius:90px 10px 90px 10px; -moz-border-radius:90px 10px 90px 10px; -webkit-border-radius:90px 10px 90px 10px; width:96px; padding:20px 43px; cursor:pointer; margin:0 auto; } .i2Style:active{ cursor:pointer; position:relative; top:2px; }