January 8, 2013

Things You Don't Know About Me (Unless I told you and forgot)


  • You may know that my dad was in the military (Navy), so we moved around a lot. We lived in North Carolina, different parts of Florida and Virginia, Washington DC and Iceland. I learned a lot about the Icelandic culture during our stay there. (Yes, it's green, but only during part of the year. It snows a LOT and the grass is frequently soggy and brown.)
  • I've eaten frog legs, squid, dolphin (one that had been caught in a tuna net), alligator, snail, fish sauce, water buffalo (yuk!), halo halo (an ice cream sundae with chick peas and weird purple ice cream, coconut, and other odds and ends) and something my husband showed me: an avocado filled with sweetened condensed milk. (Mmm!)
  • One time I ate so many mangos, I almost developed an allergy to them. I was in the Philippines (where I ate the halo halo) where the mangos are INCREDIBLE. I ate a few every day until my lips started tingling. I decided to back off at that point. Still, even if I had become allergic, it would have been worth it. They were SO good!
  • I've been to several foreign countries including Philippines, Mexico, Belize, Iceland, France, and England, but I've never been to the western United States.
  • I'm the oldest of four girls. My dad is the oldest of 6 boys (plus one sister).
  • My birthday is November 29th, the same as Louisa May Alcott, Madeleine L'Engle, and C.S. Lewis (unless someone lied to me)
  • I married my husband here because we're Mormon (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). I'm always open to discussing my faith with others because it reminds me why I live this way. Besides, if  I have something that makes my life better, it shouldn't be a secret. It should be shared.


  • I didn't always want to be a writer. It never really occurred to me. Growing up, I considered being "an artist" (when I was ages 5-7), a nurse, a lawyer, a psychologist, and a veterinarian, but I always knew I wanted to be a mom. The writing came later, and was inspired mostly by reading Harry Potter and some Gail Carson Levine in 2007.
  • I don't want stardom. I like having readers that love my work. It's more important to me to keep those readers happy than it is to write the next best-seller. 
  • I'm 6'1''. It wasn't easy growing up taller than all the boys, but I know that short people have their own problems. And at least I can reach the top shelf. :P
  • One of my favorite things to cook is banana bread. Chocolate chips are a must.
  • My big, scary German Shepherd is a softy. He was named after a character in a computer game.

Guybrush the German Shepherd
I have a sister who writes, though she hasn't published anything yet. She likes to use the pseudonym Emma Rosewood. I designed this book cover for her time travel romance. (I'll let you know when it comes out.)


I can't think of anything else, but you can ask questions in the comments. I'll answer as soon as the baby goes down for a nap. No really.


 

No comments:

.i2Style{ font:bold 24px Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif; font-style:normal; color:#ffffff; background:#67b310; border:0px none #ffffff; text-shadow:0px -1px 1px #222222; box-shadow:2px 2px 5px #000000; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 5px #000000; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 5px #000000; border-radius:90px 10px 90px 10px; -moz-border-radius:90px 10px 90px 10px; -webkit-border-radius:90px 10px 90px 10px; width:96px; padding:20px 43px; cursor:pointer; margin:0 auto; } .i2Style:active{ cursor:pointer; position:relative; top:2px; }